Data Update : 5 Jasmine Kaur Kochhar

 

Data Update- 5

The differing Unemployment Rates for Full-Time students in Canada.

The following data visualization is about the varied unemployment rates in Canada for full-time students. It mentions many factors such as ethnicity and age that could have affected the unemployment.
As seen in the following chart, it shows the unemployment rates of Full-time students in each province in the year 2023. It is the most in Prince Edward Island and the least in Quebec.The unemployment rate was 16.16 in Prince Edward Island and 6.5 in Quebec. In the article by Rebel News, they mention how the unemployment rates increased with more number of international students coming into the country.
It states that" the unemployment rate for Canadians under 24 grew a full point from 9.2% to 10.2% after foreign students were permitted to work unlimited hours ". The article also mentions that the labour force participation rate also increased from 7% to 58%. 


The unemployment increased but so was the participation rate in the country. In 2023 the participants increased from 3000 to 173,000 as per the article. As mentioned in one of the articles by On the Record, it highlights that the youth employment has always been significantly low, except when it increased to 28% in May 2020 during the pandemic. This article also states examples of students that used to work part-time and studied and eventually wanted to move to working full-time but the jobs reduced. In one of the examples 'Ethnicity' was also one of the factors that was hindering in finding jobs for students.
 
 In the line graph presented the unemployment rates of part-time students vs full-time students in BC over a shorter span. As it can be seen that it was more for part-time students than the full-time students. It was 9.8% for part-time students and 8.3% for full time students. Age was also one of the factors that was defining the unemployment rates in Canada. In an article by CBC, It mentioned that the youngest group faced unemployment. the jobs for individuals ranging between 24-54 increased whereas for youth it decreased. The youngest group saw a drop by 77,000 jobs, the age was of individuals between 15-24 years.


 As it can been seen in this graph, it shows the unemployment rate of full-time students in BC over 5 years. It can clearly be seen that it spiked to 17.3% in 2020 and till 2024 it is 7.1 %. Even in this case the pandemic is to be blamed.
Overall, there are many factors that could be affecting the employment and unemployment in the country. In one of the articles, it mentions about Indian students and they specifically have been affected by the lowered no of jobs. It mentions that, : Indian students face acute unemployment amid affordability crisis; This article specifically seems more important to me, as being an international student from India we tend to face similar kind of issues. Due to which the job fairs become a popular medium to seek job opportunities. The articles also tells us about how their family back in India is also effected. "Students have to ask for additional financial support from their homes". This eventually would burden up the family. Therefore, employment and unemployment are influenced  by many such factors which sometimes aren't even known.

Feedback: In my Data update 2 and 3 I had couple of concerns that the data I presented wasn't enough practical to be taken into consideration and I was advised by my professor to broaden the timeline of the data so that I can notice and changes over a period of time. I improved that but still was lacking in some areas, such as embedding my data. I worked on that in the last data update I have presented 3 graphs with all components being highlighted.

Comments

  1. Hey Jasmine ! I really liked the topic you choose for the employment for the international students which is a on going issue in Canada these days with international students so according to data its perfect and major issue of concern another I liked about your graph the different colours looks very attractive and gives a vibrant vibe from your report so overall great work done in your final report and good luck .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine, great update! I like the fact that you have 3 different graphs to divide the unemployment rate by year, province, and compare it with the unemployment rate between part-time and full-time students. I did notice that you used different colours for every bar which might make it a bit hard to look at. In the first graph, you can also include how Prince Edward Island has the highest unemployment rate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Jasmine. I really like your final data update! It looks like you took a lot of time to complete the assignment! Like you said today, the only suggestion I would give is to just limit the colours you're using in your graph. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jasmine, I think you did an amazing job on improving your work from the first update till this final one. I really like how you use three different graphs to show your data, but like as you mentioned it would be a lot better if you limited the use of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jasmine, great effort up until this point. I just have a few things though. I think the charts are self-explanatory enough that you don't have to describe them again. And there are lots of colours which can be distracting to the readers. I think the colours of the charts should be corresponding to one another for continuity purpose. That way your post would be more comprehensible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Data Visualization Analysis: Assignment 1